The hubby and i have been eating a lot of meat lately so we fancied a change and picked up a couple of packets of Quorn when we were shopping at Lidl. Last year i collected a few tokens off quorn products and sent off for their recipe book – i dug this out and dusted it off for some inspiration…
I settled on the Leek Pie with Quorn Pieces as i had all the ingredients already in my cupboards…
Prep time: 10mins + 30 mins chilling – Cooking time: 25 mins – Serves 4
- 150g plain flour
- 50g butter, diced
- 75g cheddar cheese or equivalent, grated (i left this out as the husband doesn’t like cheese)
- 5-6 tbsp chilled water
I mixed the ingredients for the pastry in my trusted Kenwood mixer – it was quick, easy & the lightest pastry i have made, i will be using the above for many more pies in the future!
- 40g butter
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 25g plain flour
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 100ml of boiling water
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- For the pastry mix the flour and butter, rubbing to make a bread crumb consistency. Add water a tablespoon at a time until the mixture forms a firm dough. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- For the filling start off by putting the oil and butter into a frying pan and melt. Add the chopped leeks and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Soften them but don’t let them colour!
- Stir in the garlic, Quorn pieces and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook or 1 minute. Gradually add the stock and milk while stirring to make a thick sauce. Season to taste.
5. Pour mixture into a pie dish and allow to cool.
6. Place the dough over the mixture and decorate! Glaze with milk and put in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
The final product!!
My opinion… delicious and light – i didn’t feel bloated at all like i usually do when i eat meat & pastry – the hubby also has been raving about it so it must be a hit!!!
I must remember to put on my shopping list batteries so i can take better photos instead of using my iPhone!
I think you will be seeing a lot more of my Quorn Recipe book in future posts!